The Benefits of Walking your Dog
At Paws to Consider, we understand the importance of walking your dog, not only is it a important physical activity but it also provides great mental stimulation as well! Dogs get many benefits out of using their sense of hearing and smelling outside the confines of your house, and so it is important to provide adequate time for your pup to get outside every day!
Walking helps preserve your dogs muscle tone and joint movement, and can help keep your pet at a healthy weight!
Here are some tips for maximizing exercise:
- Consult with a vet before starting a new exercise program to ensure your dog is healthy enough to start a new plan.
- Train your dog to behave well on a leash.
- Start slow and build up the program!
- Try taking your dog to a local park, or find less familiar scenery to help motivate an unmotivated pup!
- Allow your dog to smell and take “sniff breaks” so he/she can enjoy the added mental stimulation.
- Avoid walks during the hottest parts of the day, and be sure to know the signs of heat stress! On those hot days, be careful of asphalt that can burn your dogs paws!
- Also avoid the coldest parts of the days, learn to recognize signs of frostbite or hypothermia.
- Always obey leash laws and clean up waste after your dog!
Contact your local pet sitter or dog walker if you need additional help, Paws to Consider is happy to work with you on creating a new walking plan to keep your pup healthy and happy!
Monday - Sunday 9:00AM - 9:00PM
Walking Hours 10:00AM - 3:30PM
We provide service to our clients 7 days a week and will be there when you can’t, to love your pet (almost) as much as you do! Paws to Consider is fully insured and bonded, and a proud member of the National Association of Professional Pet Sitters (NAPPS).